Friday, March 16, 2018

Perspective

I’ve been thinking about this a lot. Perspective is reality right? Then why do we skew it? This week marks 1 year since my gastric bypass. Compared to others I am a slow loser but I have managed to lose 100 pounds in a year. It hasn’t been easy and it continues to be a daily battle. I still have 50-60 pounds left to lose and while my tool got me here, I think the rest of the way is on me.

So I went from 288 pounds to 188 pounds. It’s funny how the first time I weighed 188 lbs, (on my way up the weight scale) everyone thought I was SO big and “worried” about me. Now, people are so proud and think I look great! Which one is it?

Am I proud of myself? Yes. Is this a confusing time? Yes! I’m proud that I took the leap to have surgery. I realized, thanks to doctors telling me over and over again, that if I didn’t do something, I probably wouldn’t be alive to see my daughter graduate high school. I fought surgery for a long time because the perception is that it is the easy way out. Well, I can tell you it most certainly is not. I would tell myself, I got myself here, I need to get myself out. I would diet, work out, do all I could and see no results. I remember thinking, if I could just get to a place where I could walk and be able to breathe and not have to stop because my back feels like it’s breaking, I could do this. Well, guess what? Surgery allowed made that possible.

Trust me when I tell you, I appreciate every time I can walk through the grocery store and get everything I need and feel fine! (See earlier post) It is a blessing from heaven! One that I never would have been able to appreciate without surgery. It was the tool I needed to take better care of myself. I refuse to be embarrassed or judged by my decision to take action, to take charge of my health when it felt like I had no quality of life whatsoever, when I felt like a prisoner in my own body.

I have a friend that had gastric sleeve and she keeps it a secret. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t run around town shouting that I had bypass, but if someone asks how I lost the weight, I direct them to this blog. If they want the real explanation, here it is for their reading pleasure. 😂



Anyway, back to my friend. I asked her why she doesn’t tell people that need to know, like her nutritionist and personal trainer. Her answer was that she lost 100 pounds before surgery on her own and 100 pounds after and that she didn’t want people judging her and not giving her credit for the weight she lost on her own. She didn’t want them to discount all the hard work she did.

Friend, I want to say to you now, YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR! You have lost 200 pounds. No one can do that without being super dedicated to their health and well- being. That takes so much restraint, dedication and sacrifice. If someone would judge you because you needed a tool to help you with the second 100 pounds, I’m not sure I want you hanging out with such dim folk!

My worry is that you believe the hype. Somehow these haters have convinced you that your accomplishments are null and void because of surgery...please don’t believe that! WE KNOW it is not true.

We know this because there are people that have surgery and end up being bigger than before the surgery eventually. How? Surgery is just a tool to help you when your body doesn’t want to or can’t help itself. How we use that tool says everything about us. It says everything about your dedication to your health, your fitness, your future.

In the end, surgery or no surgery, we lose because we fight for it, we gain because we stop fighting.

Wishing all my bariatric friends and non-bariatric friends the same...good luck on your weight loss journey!  I know the struggle and I appreciate your efforts!!!!  Wouldn't it be great if we could change the conversation?  





No comments:

Post a Comment